Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Passports, visas, bedbugs and shingles


We landed in New York on Monday night and Jack checked his Blackberry for messages before we even got off the plane to find a message letting us know that our passports along with visas (FOUR VISAS!!!) left California the same day we left Nevada. On Tuesday, John and Ann brought us our beloved passports. What a relief to have those in our hands. And all with student visas. We’re still baffled by that, but we’re going with it.

On Sunday night before we left Reno I noticed spider bites on my neck, and wondered if I should try to get in to see my doc before we left on our noon flight on Monday. I had a swollen lymph node that was very sensitive that concerned me. But we were too frantic on Monday morning, so I decided that I could survive a spider bite, and could go to a doc in NY if needed. On Monday in NY I realized that the bite situation was worse and I needed to do a little surfing to find out what kind of spider bite I had. A little time on the net and I was convinced that it wasn’t actually spider bites, but worse – bed bug bites. So Jack, Tom, Sharon and I started surfing and were pretty much all convinced that we had a potential problem on our hands. I was horrified – thinking that I’d brought bed bugs home from the hotel we stayed at on one of our Adventures with the Spanish Consulate trips. Horrified, I couldn’t sleep all night – thinking that I now had to resolve infestations in Reno and potentially in Tom’s house in New York since we brought 11 bags with us.
So this morning we trundled off to the doctor here in NY. At the same time our friend Tia was on the job in Reno heading over to our house to check for evidence of a bed bug infestation in Reno while all of our baggage was quarantined at Tom’s house. The doc in the box listened to my tales of woe and delivered a wholly unexpected diagnosis of shingles. We trundled off to a dermatologist for confirmation. Shingles is it. Fortunately, if you get it before 50, it’s often not even treated. Currently it’s uncomfortable, but not too painful. I have drugs to reduce the potency and duration and pain killers in case it becomes painful.
So, it’s been an exciting couple of days. We’re off on a most excellent adventure. We realized today, Jack and I did, that this is really the biggest adventure we’ve ever struck out on – really sticking our necks out more than all other adventures before. Generally, I think we’re pretty calm. Quite frankly, I really didn’t feel very stressed, so I’m shocked at the shingles situation. (Funny thing was, a couple months ago someone suggested getting a vaccination against shingles that I ignored. You might want to consider it yourselves….)

No comments:

Post a Comment