Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Novillada






I didn’t think we’d go to a bullfight while we were here. But it was kids' choice, and Alex chose bullfighting. I’m not sure if he really knew what that meant. Nonetheless, we honored his request. I think Jack and I were both curious too. And Anna thought it was actually a competition in which the bull had a choice. She kept asking, “What if the bull gives up? What happens to him then?” “Honey, the bull always dies. Even if he gores the bull fighter and kind of wins, the bull still dies.” I found this difficult to talk about. I found it difficult to admit that we were even there. I wondered if I would be able to tell friends at home.

The first bull was difficult to watch. You do absolutely witness the death of a great animal. Gruesome. We were sitting in the nosebleed section (so we could afford to sit in the shade), but the primo high-altitude seats are right on the railing. The seats were fabulous, actually. But since we were leaning over the railing with folks below us, Anna warned us that someone down there might get puked on. We both volunteered to take her out. But she refused. She thought she’d stick it out for another bull and see how she was feeling.

Then the second novillada came out. Novilladas are young bulls – less than four years old - “fought” by young matadors. Again, money saving strategy, it’s like going to a minor league game. We were all strangely transfixed. The second matador was much more skilled and far more artistic than the first. It’s a dance – a very formalized, testosterone driven dance. And the second man we watched was a much finer dancer. Even we could tell.

There are six bulls in the evening. Each follows the same ritual. Each meets the same end, eventually. But each episode was very different. And oddly, I enjoyed it.

We were all pretty quiet on the Metro ride home. Jack mentioned something about maybe we’d go again before the end of the year – maybe in another six months or so. I was struck at that moment by the fact that I really didn’t want to wait six months to go again, and I thought I’d like to see the big leagues next time. I was embarrassed to admit it, but I did, also the fact that I was feeling guilty about this. Alex admitted to the same feeling.

16 de agosto de 2009. Novillada con picadores.
Diego Lleonart: Palmas, Silencio
Paco Chaves: Vuelta al ruedo, Saludos tras un aviso
Antonio Rosales: Saludos con un aviso, Vuelta al ruedo
Seis novillos de Torrehandilla
Con mi familia.

No comments:

Post a Comment