Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Name that Fruit

Mercat San Josep in Barcelona

Like many travelers, I enjoy visiting local markets. But I also admit that it is mostly a feast only for my eyes. I am usually baffled not only by what I find but also by how to buy it and what to do with it. Am I alone in this? I don't ususally think of myself as passive and insecure, but, honestly, shopping does me in. I gladly hand the reigns over to someone else. Sigh.

In Mercat San Josep in Barcelona, I decided to play the Name that Fruit game to distract me from my discomfort. I haven't seen any of these fruits in Madrid except for Chirimoya which is in every market here. I don't know where they all come from. They look too exotic to grow in Spain.

Pitahaya – Dragon Fruit


Longan


Madrono


Chirimoya


I didn't get names for these two. Do you know what they are?




Coming up: Name that body part

1 comment:

  1. yes! i do know what those fruits are, because Ellie has a big colorful poster of tropical fruits in her dining room, which I study, enviously, at every visit.
    So, the red ones are Red Tamarillos, or "tree tomatoes". They are native to South America, and are eaten fresh, stewed, used in sauces, or for relishes and preserves.
    The next one is a Horned Melon or "kiwano" but I have no idea what language that is. It is native to Africa, grown in NZ and California, and mostly eaten fresh. They are also sold at King ranch super mercado on Wells, so if you miss the kiwano season in Spain, you can catch it here.
    Also, if you haven't tasted cherimoya (aka custard apple or sugar apple) do it! it is my favorite fruit in the world. Also available at times at Raley's and King Ranch, but very costly. Let it ripen until softish, like a pear, cut into it and eat it with a spoon, or section by section, if not too sloppy. There are hard black seeds throughout, but you can't miss them--they slide right out with a little pressure. Probably won't kill you if you swallow one either.

    ReplyDelete