Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Twisted Bilbao


The Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao is a twisted and mind bending experience; it had me dizzy for most of our visit. Literally. I was dizzy during the time we were in the building. I don't know if there is a single right angle in the whole place. It is an amusement park ride for arty adults. Anna summed it up well, "The building is the art." The rest of the family generally does not enjoy art museums, especially modern art museums. But we spent hours here, and going to the galleries was almost an afterthought.


"That was my favorite modern art exhibit I've ever been to." - Jack after walking through Richard Serra's, The Matter of Time, above. Just more food for orientational confusion.

An aside: The architect, Frank Gehry, has also designed the Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health, dedicated to the fight against Alzheimer’s Disease. It will be a treatment center for people who suffer from confusion. You're kidding, right?

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Heather!
    I got your card - thanks for suggesting checking out your blog. It's great. Just thought I'd mention that the speaker at Kate's college graduation was Richard Serra. What a fascinating guy. I've spent some time catching up on his work since then. Your photo makes me want to run off to Bilbao!

    ReplyDelete